Cycle, walk or use public transport as much as you can – for the sake of the environment and your health. ” Sedentary habits are the new tobacco”, warn researchers. It appears to be actually dangerous not to exercise every day.
According to the study European Barometer 2014 Swedes take most exercise in Europe, but between exercise sessions we are also the most sedentary. In short, we move around too little. För liv och rörelse therefore wants to take the chance yet again to press for more everyday exercise. Cycling is a simple way to take exercise. You do not need to go to the gym or sports hall at fixed times, you can cycle when it suits you! If you have the chance to take the bike to and from work, it is the perfect way to get healthy and efficient exercise every day, while also helping to reduce congestion and improve air quality in the city.
Taking public transport is also good for our health, since we usually need to walk at both ends of the trip. Studies show that car drivers weigh on average 4 kg more, and run a 70 percent higher risk of heart attacks than users of public transport.
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Set the timer on your phone so you get a reminder to stand up every half hour at work.
- Have “walking meetings.”
- Raise your desktop if you can, so you can stand up and work.
- Cycle to work – or if it is too far take public transport (then you get a walk to the bus stop).
- If you need to drive a car to work, suggest that your workplace swaps car parks with another workplace , a little way away.
- Go for a brisk walk in the evening.